Postal Travel, based in Bangalore, India, is a global community of travel storytellers, hoteliers and designers who want to make travel a force for good.
Founded in 2020 and launched in September 2022, Postcard’s goal is to be the platform of choice for luxury-conscious travelers to discover hotels and tours that support the local community.
Earlier in September, Phocuswright published its Total India Market Report, which provides a comprehensive view of the Indian travel market, including detailed market sizes and projections, distribution trends, analysis of major travel segments, and developments. key code. Next, PhocusWire takes a deeper dive into Postal Travel.
What is your 30 second pitch to investors?
Postal is a travel representation and storytelling media company for luxury hotels and tours that support the local community and promote responsible tourism. Our goal is to join them in inspiring a new generation of conscious travelers through storytelling.
Postal was conceptualized in 2020 by Amit Jaipuria when he found it difficult to find luxury hotels and tours that supported the local community and were authentic voices for responsible tourism. Through the company’s website, newsletter and upcoming podcast, we showcase luxury-conscious hotel and tour stories to a global community of travelers and invite them to book with them.
Describe the commercial and technological aspects of your startup.
“83% of travelers think sustainable travel is vital, nearly three-quarters believe they must act now to save the planet for future generations, and 61% pledged to travel more consciously.” -Booking.com
Subscribe to our newsletter below
As society wakes up to travel in a post-COVID-19 world, people are looking for innovative products that take them on a more conscious journey and personal transformation. While this is an emerging trend in the travel industry driven by a more aware and inclusive traveler community, more needs to be done globally to speed up the process and mainstream it.
Postal brings together a global community of conscientious luxury hoteliers and travel designers and invites them to showcase local stories. It then promotes them through its website, newsletter, and podcast channels to a global community of travelers.
As a member-driven platform, luxury hotels and travel designers apply to be featured in the postcard directory. If accepted, the business pays an annual fee to be listed in the Hotel Postcards or Tourist Postcards directory and a commission on sales that are converted from a Postcard. Hotels and tour companies then post local stories about their people, culture, history, food, nature and wildlife on the Postcards site in an effort to inspire travelers to book a stay or tour with them.
For hotels and tour providers who need help with storytelling, Postcard also offers a global directory of established storytellers they can hire for editorial services.
Give us your SWOT analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) of the company.
- Postal is well positioned to be a leader in ushering in a new era in conscious travel. Using our brand media channels such as our website, newsletter and podcast, we have the tools to expose our partners to a global community of luxury conscious travelers and the opportunity to inspire them with stories from different parts of the world.
- Although we are a new company with a great vision, we are still new to the market and launched on September 1, 2022. As such, we are in the early stages of promoting our brand in the global market and creating awareness. between our consumers and suppliers. . We partner with like-minded media, industry groups and tourism boards to spread the word about us and support our vision of conscious travel.
- We are a global community of travel storytellers, hoteliers and designers who share a common vision of making travel a force for good. We have partners representing more than 15 countries on five continents, and our list of requests for new partnerships continues to grow. By empowering our partners and helping them succeed, we contribute to helping make an impact in their respective communities.
- With the countless startups in the travel industry, each claiming to have their own way of serving consumers and members, we can get lost in the crowd. As such, inaction from consumers and partners can be an obstacle for us to achieve critical mass and traction. Therefore, we have taken the time to get our messaging right to help us stand out from the crowd and position ourselves in the conscious luxury travel industry.
What are the travel pain points you are trying to alleviate from both a customer and industry perspective?
It’s hard for conscientious travelers to find authentic boutique hotels and tours that support the local community and promote responsible tourism. This is because search platforms are driven by algorithms and the attention is gained by the best in SEO and with large advertising budgets. Social networks are also very noisy and it is a challenge to find companies. Since boutique hotels and travel designers are SMBs and have relatively limited budgets, they find it difficult to connect with like-minded travelers. Postal screens the members it brings on board, ensuring that only high-quality, authentic businesses are included in its databases. This makes it useful for travelers to have Postal as their preferred platform to identify like-minded partners to plan their trips.
So you have the product, now how are you going to get many customers?
Postcard’s goal is to be the platform of choice for luxury-conscious travelers to discover luxury hotels and tours that support the local community and promote responsible tourism. To achieve this, the company uses different marketing channels to spread the word and build its global community of conscious travelers.
- Advertising for The Postcard Tour and Hotel Directory to generate leads and reservations
- Advertising for The Postcard Newsletter and building a global mailing list
- Advertising for The Postcard Podcast and to attract more listeners to subscribe
- Boost company posts on your social media channels.
- Advertising for The Postcard Blog to attract more subscribers
- SEO and performance marketing of individual tours, hotels, blog posts and podcasts on social media
- Partnership with media, industry groups and tourism boards to raise awareness.
- Public relations and media exposure for company updates, product launches and key partnership announcements
- Word of mouth and referral marketing
- influencer marketing
Please tell us what process you have followed to establish a genuine need for your company and the size of the market you are targeting.
Becoming a member of industry groups like the Transformational Travel Council has allowed us to network and listen to the challenges faced by companies whose values and visions we align with. We sought to build a product that would help them succeed. After hundreds of Zoom calls and one-on-one interviews, we were able to identify pain paints, discover opportunities, design the product, and establish the business model for Postal.
How and when will you earn money?
The postcard has multiple channels for generating income. As the company grows, it will activate its various monetization strategies, such as:
- List of hotel rates and travel designers
- Transaction fees
- Sponsored ads on our newsletter and podcast channels
What is the background and previous accomplishments of the founding team?
As a serial entrepreneur for the past 22 years, Amit Jaipuria has started multiple companies in industries such as consumer technology, retail, agricultural technology, fine arts, and travel. He is passionate about creating and empowering communities to bring about changes to the status quo. He is also the author of multiple patents on social media platforms and is a Media Herald and Ally Partner at the Transformational Travel Council.
How have you addressed diversity and inclusion within your business?
Driven by the community, we represent partners who are local hoteliers and travel designers from over 15 countries, and our vision is to have local representation from every country in the world. We invite you to showcase your products using stories that showcase your people and land. Showcasing their stories helps us amplify their message and connect them with potential partners and donors who can support their initiatives.
What has been the most difficult part of founding the business so far?
Get product design and messaging in place and build a community of providers and consumers.
In general, travel startups face a pretty tough time making an impact, so why should you be one of the lucky ones?
We are a community-focused company built on the belief that travel serves as a force for good. With every booking we make through Postal, we help our partners make a direct impact locally. We also share your vision and have dedicated 10% of all proceeds to conservation and community empowerment with the intention of increasing this percentage as we go forward.
In a year, what state do you think your startup will be in?
We will be a global representation company with partners and clients from more than 100 countries. We will be cash flow positive and have made an impact in local communities around the world by connecting our partners with like-minded travelers.
What is your ending? (Go public, acquisition, grow and stay private, etc.)
We believe in social enterprise. We plan to remain a private company with a culture of empathy and inclusion and to give back to build a more sustainable world.
India Travel Market Report 2021-2025
This report provides a comprehensive view of the India travel market, including detailed market size and projections, distribution trends, analysis of major travel segments, key developments, and more.